Renovation Timeline: May - June 2008
Armstrong House Project: Renovation
May & June, 2008
- Our June 8th community open house was a success with over 60 folks in attendance. Several high school students from both Fox Lane and John Jay’s AP Environmental classes presented their research on several research topics integral to the Armstrong House ‘green’ projects including bio-gas opportunities, gray-water recycling, invasives management and best trail maintenance practices, and, harnessing the wind at the site through several proposed devices. House tours and construction updates were given to many who attended.
- Interior and exterior framing throughout the house to stabilize the structure has been substantially completed. This has involved the reinforcement of the house’s walls, floor and roof.
- Our trail-head outhouse framing is complete and siding is nearly completed with a door installed replete with moon window. Roofing will be done and a small window installed in the upcoming weeks.
- The well as been located and tested and has been determined to be functional at least for the time being.
- Our solar contract has been negotiated and signed for both the solar electrical array and domestic solar hot water panels which are to be mounted on the house roof. Installation of both solar systems are projected to occur beginning the end of July. Design plans have been drawn for the electric solar panel mounting system by our project engineer, Marchetti Engineering, with volunteer construction to be commenced over the next several weeks and into July.
- Our insulation contract has been nearly finalized and includes installation of a combination of closed and open cell bio-based, non-toxic insulation. Spray foam will insulate the house and create a well-insulated structure in full compliance with energy codes. As soon as the house in insulated – we plan to begin installing the exterior siding early fall.
- The back-up propane-fired heating system design is nearly completed with our HVAC contractor.
- Pound Ridge’s own master electrician, Charlie George, supported by a team of volunteers has completed wiring for the smoke and fire alarm systems and has nearly completed the rough wiring for the upstairs. Downstairs rough wiring is anticipated to be completed over the next several weeks.
- Scraping, sanding, priming as well as the re-glazing of downstairs windows continue.
Next on the agenda and into the fall is to get on board with a plumbing contractor to complete installation of any needed rough plumbing.